The Peetha (Seat) of Devi fell here.
She is the Shakti of Kukkuteswara swamy.
Puruhuti sati mata pithikapurasamsthita /
Putravatpalita devi bhaktanugrahadayini //
Where is Puruhuta Mahashakti ?
INDIA > ANDHRA PRADESH > EAST GODAVARI DISTRICT > NEAR KAKINADA > PITHAPURAM
18 Shakti peethas map
Godavari district temples map
Nearest Busstation: Pithapuram
Nearest Railway station: Pithapuram, Kakinada
Nearest Airport: Kakinada, Rajahmundry, Visakhapatnam
Pithapuram is formerly called as Pithikapuram / Pushkara kshetram in Puranas and Tantras.
The temple of Puruhutika devi is located within the temple campus of Kukkuteswara swamy.
Kukkuteswara swamy temple is present in the outskirts of the Pithapuram village towards Kakinada. It is a big temple. Just entering in to the temple we'll see a pond which is called as Padagaya sarovaram (Pada Gaya Sarovar). Pilgrims will take holy bath in this pond. Main temple of Kukkuteswara swamy is present towards the right side of the pond. Puruhutika devi temple is present in the North-East corner of the Kukkuteswara swamy temple. It is constructed facing South. Puruhutha temple is small but looks very nice with the carvings of Ashtadasa Shakti peethas on it's walls.
Puruhutika devi photos
Idol of Puruhutika devi
The idol of Puruhuthika devi has four hands. They contain bag of seeds (Beeja), axe (Parashu), lotus (Kamala) and a dish (Madhu patra) from lower-right to lower-left in order.
Previously there were two sects of Upasakas in Pithapuram worshiping Puruhootika devi. The first one calling her as Puruhootha Lakshmi (Meditating on Kamala and Madhu patra) and worshiping in Samayachara and the second one calling her Puruhoothamba (Meditating on Parashu and Beeja) and worshiping in Vamachara. There is also a tale that the original statue of Puruhutika devi was buried under the temple which was worshiped by them.
Other important temples in Pithapuram
Pithapuram has many important temples: [view Pithapuram article]
1. Kukkuteswara swamy temple: It is the main temple in Pithapuram.
2. Hunkruthi Durga / Humkruthi Durga: Also called as Humkarini Durga. She is present in the Garbha griha of Kukkuteswara swami towards the left.
3. Rajarajeswari: She is the Deveri (wife) of Kukkuteswara swamy. Also present in the same campus.
4. Sripada Srivallabha Dattatreya: This temple of Lord Dattatreya is present in the South-West corner of the temple.
5. Kunthi madhava: This is an old temple of Lord Sri Krishna located in Pithapuram village.