Kheer Bhavani - Ragnya Bhagavati

Last visit was: Sun May 28, 2017 10:17 am

Kheer Bhavani - Ragnya Bhagavati

Postby Kondurkumar on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Continued from: Sankari Shakti peeth

Thnaks for the information.Nobody knows what happened in the history.And I have visited the Kheer Bhavani is from Srilanka and she was known as Ragyna Bhagwati or Ragnya Devi.This board is clearly displayed at the entrance of Kheer Bhavani.Apart the following board is also put up at the entrance of Kheer Bhavani.This is coz i have visited the temple myself.

One such legend is that when Ravana was kílled at the hands of Bagwan Rama the Goddess Bhawani ordered Hanuman to carry her to Satisar-Kashmir along with 360 Nagas. Hanuman selected the site and installed the Goddess in the Northern part of the valley. She came to be known as Kheir Bhawani or Ragyna Bhagwati as her favourite offerings consist of rice cooked in milk and sugar, and all other vegetarian forms of diet.

How did the existence of the holy spring come to light among the people ? It is related that one pious Brahmin named Krishna Pandit of Habba Kadal in Srinagar had a vision wherein he was informed by a Deva to offer Puja to Kheir Bhawani in the swamps of Tullamulla. How shall I locate the Goddess and her holy abode was the query on behalf of the saintly Brahmin. Thereuponhe was asked to hire a boat at Shadipora wherefrom a snake would guide him to the destination. Krishna Pandit did the same and was extremely happy when the snake guided him through the swampy and marshy land, until he reached the hollow trunk of a mulberry tree. The snake made a dip and disappeared from sight. The saint took the clue and after performing Puju poured milk which he had brought for this purpose. It is thus that the holy spring was discovered and was known to Kashmiries. It is believed that the discovery of the holy spring has been made on Ashadha Saptami, the 7th day of the bright fortnight of the month of June-July. Kashmiri Hindus come here on every Ashtami - 8th day of the bright fortnight of each lunar month and majority of Kashmiri Hindus consider Kheir Bhawani as their guardian Goddess.

I also have the picture of the above mentioned story which to a greater extent u can read.But as i said earlier i dont know how to send the pic.
Last edited by Admin on Sun May 01, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic split by Admin from "Sankari Devi,Srilanka" for Better understanding.
Srinagar hotelsSrinagar tourSrinagar sightseeing
Srinagar flightsSrinagar travelSrinagar pilgrimage

Re : Kheer Bhavani - Ragnya Bhagavati

Postby Kondurkumar on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi

The Pic of the board infront of Kheer bhavani can be send to you and you can read it easily.Lemme know the procedure pls

Postby Uma on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Last edited by Uma on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Srihari on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:24 am

when Ravana was kílled at the hands of Bagwan Rama the Goddess Bhawani ordered Hanuman to carry her to Satisar-Kashmir along with 360 Nagas.
It is believed that the discovery of the holy spring has been made on Ashadha Saptami, the 7th day of the bright fortnight of the month of June-July. Kashmiri Hindus come here on every Ashtami - 8th day of the bright fortnight of each lunar month.

• Tantras tell about Devi Navaratris that come in the first nine days of Sukla Ashadha (Bright half). These Ashadha Navaratris are sacred for the worship of MahaKali. This resembles Khir Bhavani Mela of Ashadha sukla ashtami
  • Devi Bhagavata Purana, which is famous in the North, also describe the worship of MahaKali by Sri Rama to kíll Ravana. Lord Brahma himself prąyed Sankari mata and conducted the worship to help Sri Rama. This resembles the Sthala purana of Khir Bhavani which tells that she was taken from Lanka by Hanuman.
All these suggest that Kheer Bhavani is a form of Parvathi rather than Saraswati.

Spring of Khir Bhavani

Postby Uma on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:11 pm

The holy spring of Khir Bhavani is very famous. It has a Septagonal shape with it's apex (Feet of Goddess/ Pad) facing East. It's western side is considered as the head of Khir Bhavani. In the central part there was a holy Mulberry tree in the past. Now, a marble temple is constructed there, which enshrines some idols found at the time of cleansing the spring in 1970.

The water of spring will come in various colors like red, pink, orange, green, blue and milky white. Sometimes the bubbles of water form a mystic Chakra which is considered as the live sign of Khir Bhavani. In 1947, when the Kashmir valley was attącked by Pak raiders, the water turned black, showing misfortune for the state!

Shakti rudrakshaShakti pendantsShakti yantra
Shakti statueShakti giftsShakti puja

Topic Tags

Jammu Kashmir tourism, Lord Hanuman, Pilgrimage Tours, Shakti temples, Temples in Kashmir, Travel India

• NAVIGATION