Kedarnath
(Uttara khand)
Somnath
(Gujarat)
Ghushmeshwar
(Maharashtra)
Vishwanath
(Uttar pradesh)

There are two other places which are considered as Jyotirlingas by Maharashtrian people:

Naganath (Aundha, Maharashtra)
Vaidyanath (Parli, Maharashtra)

See the exact locations of each jyotirling in 12 jyotirlingas map
Varanasi hotelsVaranasi tourVaranasi sightseeing
Varanasi flightsVaranasi travelVaranasi pilgrimage

Re: 12 Jyotirlingas

Postby Siva on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Not only Aundha Nagnath and Parli Vaidyanath, you also mentioned some other temples and gaven an additional list of Jyotirlingas.

Story for origin of Jyotirlingas

Postby Narasimha on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:34 pm

Today I got a doubt. We often hear about the Story of Sati devi for the origin of Shakti peethas. But, no story for the origin of Jyotirlingas as such. I know, each Jyotirlinga has a story for it's origin, but no common one. Mnay Shakti peethas also have their own stories but the story of Sati devi is covering all. I'll be happy if anybody throws light on this topic.
Narasimha Naik

Postby Admin on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Hmm..., I too don't know of any such story. All Puranas give twelve stories, yes, no common one. Why did our elders grouped these twelve? Does they resemble twelve months of a year? Did they have twelve forms of Sun (Dwadasa Aditya rupas) in their mind? As the word Jyotirlinga itself remembers light, we can think about Lord Shiva as Sun in this context. This is only a simple analysis, may not be correct. If anybody has good knowledge in Shaiva siddhanta, please contribute.

Postby Siva on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi, I have a little doubt about this topic, I don't know whether it is right or wrong. Shakti resembles Prakriti (Srishti), Shiva resembles Moksha swarupa. All puranas told about the origin and growth of Shristi, ie. Prakriti, ie. Shakti. But no one told about the origin of Moksha swarupa (Shiva) till this time. That's why we may see the story of origin of Shakti or Shakti peethas. As no one can explain the origin of Moksha swarupa, for that reason we will not see the story for origin of Shiva or Jyotirlingas.

Shiva rudrakshaShiva pendantsShiva yantra
Shiva statueShiva giftsShiva puja

Topic Tags

Jyotirlingas tour, Spiritual India, Temples of Lord Shiva, Tourist places in India, Travel India

• NAVIGATION