Attukal Bhagavathy temple - Sabarimala of women

Last visit was: Sun May 28, 2017 10:13 am

Attukal Bhagavathy temple - Sabarimala of women

Postby Basha on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:35 am

Does anybody know of Attukal Bhagavathi? She is believed as an avatara of Parvathi. Her temple is very near to the temple of Padmanabhaswami temple of Trivendram. Kerala people call her temple as "Sabarimala of women", for her devotees being ladies forming major portion. There are many stories on her. But, the famous one relates to the Mulluveettil family. She appeared before an old man of that family, as a small girl, seeking help to cross the river Killi. He not only helped but taken her to his home to give feest (Atithya) as he observed a divine charisma in her face. That night he dreamed of a place with three marks pointed out by her. He woke up early and with his enthusiasm he gone to the place he dreamed of. There, by a divine vision he built a temple for Attuka Bhagavathi. According to another story she is divinised form of Kannaki, the famous heroine of Chilapathikaram, written by Elenkovadikal, a Tamil poet. The story goes that after the destruction of ancient city of Madurai, Kannaki left the city and reached Kerala via Kanyakumari and on the way to Kodungalloor took a sojourn at Attukal.

Attukal pongal, also called Ponkala mahotsavam, is famous for the deity. It is conducted around february/march. Devis, devotees of the goddess Bhagavathi, prepare a sweet sacred food (charu), using earthen pots. They offer it with great devotion, at the time of which some exalted behaviors are common.

Actually I knew about her starting with a controversial matter. The temple/ board applied for copyright over the Photo of Attukal Bhagavathi with title "Sabarimala of women" and got approved for the same. Many devotees opposed it and comments went very far. Anyhow, these are few pics of her and her temple.

First Previous Next
Sabarimala-of-women-Attukal-Bhagavathy.jpg
I heard that it is a Copyrighted image of Attukal devasthanam. No one can use it for commercial purposes except Devasthanam!!!
Attukal-temple.JPG
Old temple was developed and now maintained well.
Attukal-sculpture.jpg
Devi is believed as an incarnation of Jaganmata, Mother Goddess.
Attukal-pongal.jpg
See lady devotees preparing offerings to the Goddess.
Attukal-festival.jpg
Lakhs of people gather on the occasion of Attukal Ponkal.
Trivandrum hotelsTrivandrum tourTrivandrum sightseeing
Trivandrum flightsTrivandrum travelTrivandrum pilgrimage

Re: Attukal Bhagavathy temple - Sabarimala of women

Postby Admin on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:06 pm

I searched for the Devasthanam you are telling about, thanks that you mentioned their name and not violated Copyright rules. Link : Attukal Devasthanam website

Re: Attukal Bhagavathy temple - Sabarimala of women

Postby raghu on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:06 pm

The attukal bhagavathy ponkala/pongala is really very famous and last year i blessed to be there but i can't able to see the maa in such an ocean of people.The festival starts on the Bharani day in kumbham (feb-march) every year (according to malayalam calender) and continues for nine days.

Shakti rudrakshaShakti pendantsShakti yantra
Shakti statueShakti giftsShakti puja

Topic Tags

Indian tradition, Kerala tourism, Local Deities, Lord Ayyappa, Sabarimala tour, Shakti temples, Temples in Kerala

• NAVIGATION