The Glory of Thirukkannapuram

Last visit was: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:24 amDetails and Discussions about the temples of Lord Vishnu.

The Glory of Thirukkannapuram

Postby Kondurkumar on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Dear all

Earlier I have given the importance of "Ashtakshara Kshetra" where lord at each of these Kshetrams signifies one Aksharam of his Ashtakshara Mantram.

srirangam Venkatadrischa SrimushNam Totaparvatam
Salagramam Pushkaramcha NaranarayaNAshramam
Naimisham Cheti ME SthananyasoU Mukthi PradhAnivai
YetusvashtAksharaIkAka: VarNamUrthir VasAmyaham
TishtAmi KrishNa KshEtrE puNya SapthakOgatha:
AshtAksharasya Mantrasya SarvAkshara Maya SadA

However, at TirukaNNapuram, He is resident as the Ashtakshara Mantram in its entirety. Fittingly, Tirumangai Mannan received MantrOpadesham from the Lord Himself at this Kshetram. The Azhwar's Anubhavam in this Kshetram upon receiving Upadesham is beautifully reflected in 104 delectable verses..

The belief is even having darshan of Vimanam of this temple is enough to grant mukti
Thanjavur hotelsThanjavur tourThanjavur sightseeing
Thanjavur flightsThanjavur travelThanjavur pilgrimage

Re: The Glory of Thirukkannapuram

Postby Srihari on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:28 pm

Instead of being one of the Ashtakshara kshetras, Thirukkannapuram is also listed in 108 Divya desams of Lord Vishnu and 5 famous Krishna Kshetrams of Tamilnadu (Thirukkannankudi, ThirukkannaMangai, Thirukkannapuram, Thirukannan Kavithalam and Thirukovilur).

Location of Thirukkannapuram

THIRUKKANNAPURAM > NEAR NANNILAM >THANJAVUR DISTRICT > TAMILNADU

Nearest Busstation: Thirukkannapuram
Nearest Railway station: Nannilam
Nearest Airport: Thanjavur
See Thirukkannapuram in Google map

Sourirajan-Thirukkannapuram.jpg
Sourirajan with his Deveris

Deities at Thirukkannapuram:

Main deity in Thirukkannapuram is Neela Mega Perumal. He is also called as Sourirajan / Sowri rajan.
The idol of Sourirajan looks very beautiful with Varada hastha and Prayoga chakra. Kannapura Nayaki and Padmavathi thayar are present on his left and right.

stories of souri rajan

Postby Vimala on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:32 pm

I found some interesting stories of sourirajan perumal on the web.

Ranga bhattar:
Once upon a time,an Archagar named Ranga bhattar was worshiping Neelamega perumal.Though he was a devotee of the lord,he used to sell the flowers sent by the king to the God.King knew it and became angry.One day the king made a surprise visit.knowing this,Ranga bhattar arranged an used garland.But,there was a hair in it.King found it.Archagar became afraid and prąyed the lord.He told that the hair was the God's himself.Neelamega perumal was graceful towards Ranga bhattar and showed his plait to the king.From that day onwards, the name saurirajan (one who has plait) came to the perumal.

Munnayatharayar:
Munnayatharayar is a great devotee of souri rajan.Daily he used to offer Pongal (Naivedyam) to the souri rajan at the night.One day he was late and temple gates were closed before his offering.He became depressed and prąyed a lot.He offered pongal from the outside itself.Lord souri rajan was pleased by his devotion and showed acceptance by the ringing bells and a smell of pongal all over the temple campus.From that night onwards, last Naivedyam to the lord is offered by the name of Munnayatharayar.It is called as Munitharam.

I have few doubts:
I found a list of Pasurams regarding souri rajan.What is a Pasuram ?
Periyalwar - 1 Paasuram
Aandal - 1 Paasuram
Kulasekaralwar - 11 Paasurams
Nammalwar - 11 Paasurams
Thirumangaialwar - 104 Paasurams.
Total - 128
Why is it called as Ashtaksha manthra kshetram ?
In the list of Ashtakshara kshetras there is no reference to Thirukkannapuram.Is it just a saying as Tirumangai alwar got Ashtakshara manthropadesam directly from the perumal here.Please tell me.

Postby Siva on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:00 am

Pasurams are Tamil poems from great devotees. It is told that Pasurams are not voluntarily written by the devotees but the poetry came itself from their mouth by the grace of God. We can compare Pasurams with the holy Mantras.

Yes. there is no description of Thirukkannapuram in the list of Ashtakshara mantra temples. But it is in the list 108 Divyadesams. By that, we can understand it is as a very sacred temple. The saying might have come from the story of Tirumangai alwar.

Postby Kondurkumar on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:44 pm

If you look at my post i have already mentioned that.

Lord Narayana points out that the eight Swayam Vyakta Kshetrams of Srirangam, Tirupathi, SrimushNam, Vanamamalai, Salagramam, Badri,Pushkar and NaimisharaNyam grant liberation to those who visit the place. The Lord as theArcha Murthy at each of these Kshetrams signifies one Aksharam of his Ashtakshara Mantram.

However, at TirukaNNapuram, He is resident as the Ashtakshara Mantram in its entirety. The reason being y, Tirumangai Mannan received MantrOpadesham i.e, ashtakshara mantram from the Lord Himself at this Kshetram. The Azhwar's Anubhavam in this Kshetram upon receiving Upadesham is beautifully reflected in 104 delectable verses.

For your kind observation anytime the number eight appears,the Azhwars seem to reflect the message of the Ashtakshara Mantram in one way or another. For example, Kulashekara Azhwar in the 8th decade of Perumal Tirumozhi glorifies the Lord of TirukaNNapuram as Lord Rama.Similar Anubhavams of other Azhwars can be found in connection with the number 8.

Vishnu rudrakshaVishnu pendantsVishnu yantra
Vishnu statueVishnu giftsVishnu puja

Topic Tags

Divya desams, Saints, Tamilnadu tourism, Temples in Tamilnadu, Temples of Lord Vishnu

• NAVIGATION